Lost Gardens of Heligan
|Contact||Mr Henry Cavender|
|Over 200 acres of Victorian working gardens and pleasure grounds, with a magnificent complex of walled gardens, summerhouses, lakes, huge productive gardens, fruit houses. and a 22 acre sub-tropical "jungle".|
|Open||Open every day (Except 24th & 25th December.) Main Season (Mar - Oct) 10am - 6pm, last tickets at 4:30pm. Winter (Nov - Feb) - 10am - 5pm, last tickets at 3:30pm.|
|Admission||Adults £8.50, Senior Citizens £7.50, Children (5 - 16 yrs) £5.00, Children (under 5) FREE, Family £23.50 (2 adults + up to 3 children). No dogs between the 15th July & 15th September inc. Pre-arranged parties from £7.50 pp|
The Tremayne family has remained at Heligan for more than 400 years, Sampson Tremayne bought the estate in the late 15th century and his son William Tremayne built himself a house at Heligan in 1603. Most of William Tremayne's House was replaced at the beginning of the 19th Century.
The Gardens as they are today closely resemble the original designs drawn up for Henry Hawkins Tremayne, the owner of the estate until 1829.
The house at Heligan was requisitioned by the War Department in 1916 to be used as officers convalescence home. After the war the house was rented out and gardens began to fall into a state of disrepair until the current owner John Willis inherited Heligan and in 1990 leased the Gardens to Tim Smit, who began to restore the gardens to their former glory. There are fine walled gardens and pineapple pits, an Italian garden and over two and a half miles of footpaths.
The Clock House, part of the former coach house and stables is available to rent.